History of University Of St Andrews
The University of St. Andrews, one of Scotland's oldest universities, was founded in 1413 and is located in the Fife area of Scotland, UK. The university was founded when a group of Augustinian clergy, driven from the University of Paris by the Avignon schism and from the universities of Oxford and Cambridge by the Anglo-Scottish Wars, formed a society of higher learning in St Andrews, which offered courses of lectures in divinity, logic, philosophy, and law. St. Salvator's College (1450), St. Leonard's College (1512), and the University Library, refounded by James VI in 1612, are among the university structures, many of which originate from the Middle Ages. Since 1579, a third institution, St. Mary's (1537), has been solely dedicated to theological education. St. Salvator's and St. Leonard's were merged in 1747 to form the University of St. Andrews. The university is affiliated with European Universities Association, Europaeum, Universities Scotland, Universities UK, Wallace group, Sutton 13. QS World University Rankings 2022 gave it a global rank of #91, Times Higher Education Rankings gave it a global rank of #201, and US News and World Report gave it a global rank of #342.
The University of St Andrews is situated in the small town of St Andrews in rural Fife, Scotland. The university has teaching facilities, libraries, student housing, and other buildings spread throughout the town. St Andrews is made up of a variety of institutions, comprising three colleges — United College, St Mary's College, and St Leonard's College, the last-named being a non-statutory revival of St Leonard's as a postgraduate society. The four academic faculties collectively encompass 18 schools. The University has a faculty of Arts, a faculty of Divinity, a faculty of Medicine, and a faculty of Science.